(Ella and Trevor getting ready to go home! She was less than thrilled...)
We had a nice quiet Christmas with just the three of us. It was so wonderful! We slept in and opened presents together. Santa brought us a Diaper Genie! I never thought I would be so excited about a diaper pail! In my humble opinion it has been one of our best purchases (Especially living on the second floor--who wants to dump a dirty diaper downstairs in the freezing cold? Not this girl! )Thank you Santa!
(Ella on Christmas Day)
(Snuggling with Dad)
(Grandma Capps and Ella meeting for the first time!)
(Ella's first bath--she LOVED it and still does!)
After my mom left we started to get back into the swing of things. Trevor went back to school and church and I was left at home to snuggle our new little one. We decided early on to not take the baby out for at least 6 weeks to avoid the nasty flu and RSV season. We were super careful about washing our hands and making sure the few visitors we had were not carrying any yucky germs. Wellllllllllllll then a funny thing happened. Ella got RSV.
To say I was devastated would be an understatement. First I was terrified, then upset, then Trevor and I played the blame game of who got her sick (this game is dumb and leaves you with no answers to your questions--how can you possibly trace something like that? Unless you are Kate Winslet from Contagion). Ella had some congestion that the doctor had brushed off as a normal newborn symptom--dry air + small airways = congestion. Well that sounded good to me but then she got this little cough so I took her in only a few days after her 4 week appointment. She also developed chest retractions which scared me a little bit. I took her to the doctor and they gave her a breathing treatment with a nebulizer. They did a little swipe of her nose and the results came back quickly to confirm that she had RSV. To top off her illness Trevor was up to his eyeballs in exams that week. Ella was waking up almost every 1-2 hours at night because of her struggle to breath so we quickly decided that I would sleep on the couch and give her breathing treatments/feed her so that Trevor could have a decent chance at passing his exams. It was a rough week for all of us but we survived! The pediatrician said several times that we could hospitalize her but that they wouldn't be doing anything different. I REALLY didn't want her to go to the hospital with even more viruses and bacteria so we did everything we could to keep her breathing well at home.
Ella became a pro at holding her nebulizer at 3 am!
We did a lot of snuggling those few weeks!
Here is my product plug. The NoseFrida. This thing is amazing. I swear it kept us out of the hospital. If your baby has a cold or bad congestion this is a lifesaver. I bought it as a last resort because all of the bulb suction and steam baths in the world were not making a difference so I bit the bullet and bought this thing. At first it was gross but it made her feel so much better--get it, buy it, use it. It is amazing! Ok, that is my little advertisement of the day. (oh and it works great with a little saline spray )
So that is why I haven't blogged in a month--hopefully we will have no more of that! More posts and pictures to come! If you read this entire thing you deserve a gold star or a cookie!
Cookie, please.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you didn't have to hospitalize her and that she recovered relatively quickly. You're a rock star. I don't know how you survived on that little sleep.
Maret, you are more than welcome to come to Ohio and eat a cookie. Or a brownie. They just came out of the oven. I don't know if I am a rock star--I don't wish a sick baby on ANYONE!
DeleteI am so proud of you Amy. You are such a wonderful mother. Mothering insticts do kick in, it's called LOVE. Can't wait to hold and snuggle Ella myself. G Ma Colvin
ReplyDeleteThanks Grandma! Can't wait to see you guys in May!
DeleteAmy, your baby girl is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blogs and seeing pictures of your little angel!